Thursday, July 13, 2006

Isn't summer camp wonderful?

I hated summer camp! I went twice. Once to a day camp which I detested going to and then to an overnight camp out of state. The day camp was only about a 10 minute drive from our summer cottage. The lady would come pick me up and I'd be dropped off later in the afternoon. Monday I was curious. Everyone talked so excitedly about it I thought it was going to be great.
I soon discovered that activities were done in 1/2 hour slots. Hey, I didn't want to make crafts I wanted to canoe and swim. When swimming time came I discovered that the water was really yucky. If I were at home I'd have clear water, sandy bottom and not 100 people shouting and kicking up gook. I decided I didn't want to swim afterall, well, there anyway but was told I had to. Canoeing became a problem because you had to go in a canoe with 4 people and take turns paddling. I got stuck on the floor for the first turn but those in the seats didn't have a clue what they were doing and by the time someone came and got us our canoeing time slot was up.
Tuesday morning my Mom told me it would be better - it wasn't. Wednesday I didn't want to go at all but was coerced and obeyed. Thursday I flat out refused and Friday they didn't bother coming to pick me up. I was very glad.
The camp away was slightly better but I suffered homesickness terribly. I still had the "I can do more of what I want to do on my summer vacation at home" syndrome. I signed up for the wrong activity and didn't have the guts to tell anyone until Wednesday night and it was to late to change.
The following year I won a trip back to the overnight camp but with a very giving heart (ya right) I gave it to someone less fortunate! Everyone thought I was so sweet......... truth be known I DIDN'T WANT TO GO!
Then comes my kids. I didn't encourage camp because I didn't want them to have a horrible time! When M & B asked to go I was shocked! I couldn't believe they would want to go. They went and had a good time. Mel even went a second time.
Now that Lianna and Annie are 'of age' they asked to go. Lianna went last year and was still talking about it this spring! She also went to the camp's winter retreat.
This is where my post really begins! At the winter retreat she was snowboarding and flipped. She suffered a concussion. She had swollen arm and leg on one side and a really bad headache - this being two days after the crash upon returning home! She seemed to get better but then started with severe dizzyness. ER here we come. About $1,200 later they told us that they really couldn't tell us anything! Yes, you read that right. She needed to lay low ( this is Lianna we're talking about) for a month, no horseback riding (she had just gained that privilege back after waiting a month after surgery), no sliding, snowboarding, skating etc... This didn't go over well with her but she complied.
This summer she's definitely back to normal and wants to go back to camp. She did and when she was returned to us guess what?????? Another concussion. They were playing a game tht was similiar to football without the ball! Complete with running across a field and tackling BUT without the safety equipment! Yup, she got tackled and wham! another concussion. She also took a soccer ball direct in the face but forgot to tell me that! She came home with a headache, fatigue, dizzyness etc... The head and dizzyness abated after some sleep and lots of water. Water? oh, that's right, she told me she didn't drink much water because it tasted really bad. It was in the 90's last week! With humidity! No water? She also had funny cold symptoms which I attributed to sinus trauma from the soccer ball. She is much better now and only has the cold symptoms BUT they're not from the soccer ball! It's a knock down drag out cold -- I know, I woke with it early this morning!
Annie is at the same camp this week, in fact, the same cabin! I can't wait until she gets home! I wonder what stories she'll have. They're not suppose to bring candy but we did let her take her raisins, she'd die without her power food!
Lianna says she had an awesome week and wants to go back, what will Annie think? This is her first year.
You want to know what I think?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home