Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Camping adventures -- snakes

We recently returned from one of our annual "Wales Family Camping Trips".
We like remote camping...very remote. We look for places that we have to canoe to and won't see others while we're there! Then we stay there for days --until the food starts running low. This also is a no electricity and sometimes not even an outhouse type place.
This year my older three darling children couldn't join us but my son's best friend and his wife came. We had a really great time. In light of the fact that one of our guests hadn't been camping before (unless you count crowded campgrounds with all the amenities) my wonderful husband built and lugged a nice little "throne" so she wouldn't have to use just a hole. We all have either tans or sunburns and memories of times shared. Even though big brother wasn't with the girls his buddy made sure they got thrown into the water, splashed and otherwised picked on. They wouldn't have it any other way!
The event I want to share though was with one of the dogs. Oh, we also took 2 of our 3 dogs with us. The older golden retriever, Sunshine, amazed me more than usual. Our camp spot was a peninsula that we had to canoe to. On one side there was a huge granite outcropping. It blocked the view but was great to jump off of and into the water. There was also a cave on the water side which made for interesting investigations. I digress. My hubby and I were sitting on the top of the 'cliff' basking in the sun and having prayer time. We were there for about an hour when I decided I needed to climb down and attend to something at the campfire. I had descended about 10 feet on just rock when a snake slithered across my foot! I'm not squeamish but a slithery snake on my bare skin did cause me to let out a scream.
Sunshine came running and I pointed to the snake. She dove at it, grabbed it and shook (more like snapped) her head back and forth so fast she literally broke the snake in two pieces. She looked at the pieces and the larger one was still moving so she grabbed it and shook it more until it too broke! I was speechless! (which doesn't happen much) Sunshine's mom got a stick (she wasn't touching it!) and flicked it away. Sunshine sauntered away and lay down to rest like nothing had happened. My hero was the dog that day!
My youngest daughter can run very fast. She has pencil legs but they can move. An Indian friend of ours has given her a name. I can't remember the tribal spelling but the English version is, "She who Runs with the wind." He has told us that it's not "Runs LIKE the wind" but "WITH". We have now nicknamed Sunshine, "She who kills snakes."
Keep in mind that we live in Maine. We have garter snakes, grass snakes and other non-poisonous snakes but the yarns being spun about this event already have this snake being a 6 foot long rattler! Ahhhhh the fun of camping!

2 Comments:

Blogger Bobby Wales said...

I wish I could have been there to see that . . . the speechless part, I mean. That would have been something. Seriously though, I am very jealous and wish that we could have been there this year. Hopefully next year.

9:48 AM  
Blogger Sam Tardif said...

Why didn't you just slap it in the face?

3:42 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home